NOTE: The information is current as of the time of publication. Programs may change and are not guaranteed by EBA Portland, LLC. We’re just blogging about it and it may be a dated article — sorry!
Property tax abatements are like “freezes” of property taxes for a designated time. Property tax abatements are designed to assist first time home buyers in Portland by abating taxes for a period of time.
Are There Any Tax Abatement Programs Currently in Portland?
Yes. But with all things there are considerations that need to be met by the first time home buyer in Portland.
- The property must qualify
- The first time home buyers must qualify
How Does the Property in Portland Qualify?
- The property must meet the definitions of the Limited Tax Exemption (LTE) Program
- Properties in Portland meeting the Limited Tax Exemption tax abatement in Portland must be new construction in Portland and be in the Homebuyer Opportunity Area.
- The property must be located within a Homebuyer Opportunity Area. To see if a specific property is located within this area go to PortlandMaps.com enter the address and click on the “Development” tab for confirmation the property is eligible under “Home Buyer Opportunity Area” (toward the bottom of the page).
- The proposed home must be a single-family home or condominium.
- The maximum sales price (or appraised value if an owner/builder) may be no greater than $275,000 (2010 limit adjusted annually).
- The home must be sold to an eligible homebuyer.
Who is an Eligible Homebuyer in Portland?
- The total annual income of all owner occupants, which means they are on title to the home and also live there, may not exceed $72,000 (adjusted annually). This limit is adjusted upward for households of five or more people.
- The homebuyer or any eligible subsequent homebuyer must apply and occupy the home throughout the exemption period.
Are there Disqualifications to the Program?
- If construction is not completed within two years from the date of the ADE approval
- If the property is converted to a rental
- If the property is sold to an ineligible homebuyer
- If the homebuyer or subsequent homebuyers fail to apply or qualify for the program
- If the sales price exceeds $275,000
- If the homebuyer fails to occupy the property throughout the exemption period
First Time Home Buyer Need to Knows?
For ten years the Portland home buyers meeting the guidelines will not pay full property taxes on the assessed improvement value of the new construction.
First Time Home Buyers can take advantage of this great property tax abatement in Portland.
Home Buyer Opportunity Map – First Time Home Buyers – Tax Abatement in Portland
Buyers Agent Portland - Buyer Focused ~~ Buyer Results
Buyers Agent Portland, LLC is an Exclusive Buyer Agency serving the Portland Metro real estate market since 1999. The brokerage only represents Home Buyers and never home sellers. If you’re looking for a home anywhere in the Portland Metro area, there is no better representation than an Exclusive Buyers Agent. We assist investors, folks relocating to Portland area, those moving to Portland in-state, home buyers who are looking to down-size or move-up and of course . . . love working with first-time buyers. I help Buyers in the Portland Metro market find exactly what they need in the Tri-County markets of Clackamas County, Multnomah County and Washington County, as well Portland cities including but not limited to:
- Beaverton homes for sale
- Tigard homes for sale
- Hillsboro homes for sale
- Lake Oswego homes for sale
- Portland homes for sale
When you’re ready, talk to an Exclusive Buyers Agent.
Exclusive Buyers Agents do not work at real estate brokerages that take listings!
An EBA’s fiduciary duty is: 100% BUYER REPRESENTATION . . . 100% of the Time.
Carla Muss-Jacobs, Principal Broker/Owner
Buyers Agent Portland LLC
14845 SW Murray Scholls Blvd, #110-518
Beaverton, OR 97007
Buyers Agent Portland ~~ 100% BUYER REPRESENTATION . . . 100% of the Time
All rights reserved©