I’m a licensed real estate broker in the State of Oregon. That license allows me to “broker” the purchase and sale of real estate. Beyond that . . . I’m not licensed to give tax advice, legal advice, or energy audit advice.
From time-to-time I get asked a lot of questions that have absolutely nothing to do with my real estate license.
Lenn Harley’s recent feature, I Didn’t Know So Many Agents Were Fortune Tellers, is a good one. She describes very bad business practice: Talking out of school, talking about future values we just DO NOT know . . . but more importantly, DO NOT HAVE TO KNOW!
These are actual questions I’ve been asked over the years:
- when do the buses run
- how good are the schools
- how much will the property appreciate in years to come
- will the cleaning crew clean the fan blades
- are the neighbors planning to have children
- , , , and yes . . . what is the “average” monthly utility bill
I understand the need to budget. Matter of fact, I budget too! But sometimes, when I get asked this question, I can not answer with a pat and firm reply, other then: There is NO average.
There is NO “AVERAGE” to a monthly utility bill because there are TOO many variables:
- What’s the sq. ft. of the property?
- Where is the property located? (500′ above sea level, 1,500′ above sea level, 4,500′ above sea level)
- How has it been insulated? (Attic, crawlspace, walls? What’s the R-value? Are the ducts wrapped?)
- What kind of windows does the property have?
- Is there a crawlspace, basement, slab?
- What is the primary heat source?
- How many people live in the house?
- How many times does the toilet get flushed?
- How often is the lawn watered?
- Is the dishwasher used to DRY dishes (major energy drain)
- What temperature is the thermostat set in winter?
- Are the windows / doors properly caulked, sealed and weather stripped?
- Do they heat the house at night?
- Do they keep each and every TV, radio, computer running 24/7?
- Is there a hot tub used on the premises?
- Does hubby tinker in the garage and use 220 amp toys?
- on and on and on . . .
To obtain a true “average” everybody knows that you must do it mathematically / scientifically: taking the ENTIRE population for any given variable, quantifying the variables, adding the monthly amount, dividing by the end-group users, and having a plus/minus standard deviation for errors.
Yeah, I’m not about to do that . . . sorry.
——> YOU CAN NOT BASE YOUR PERSONAL ENERGY CONSUMPTION ON ANYONE ELSE’S ENERGY CONSUMPTION! <——
There are organizations that can provide you with information you need, and want. I can, and do, provide referrals to qualified vendors in the Portland Metro area and direct people to the right source for information. Weatherization is the key!
Hope this makes sense.
Buyers Agent Portland - Buyer Focused ~~ Buyer Results
Buyers Agent Portland, LLC is an Exclusive Buyer Agency serving the Portland Metro real estate market since 1999. The brokerage only represents Home Buyers and never home sellers. If you’re looking for a home anywhere in the Portland Metro area, there is no better representation than an Exclusive Buyers Agent. We assist investors, folks relocating to Portland area, those moving to Portland in-state, home buyers who are looking to down-size or move-up and of course . . . love working with first-time buyers. I help Buyers in the Portland Metro market find exactly what they need in the Tri-County markets of Clackamas County, Multnomah County and Washington County, as well Portland cities including but not limited to:
- Beaverton homes for sale
- Tigard homes for sale
- Hillsboro homes for sale
- Lake Oswego homes for sale
- Portland homes for sale
When you’re ready, talk to an Exclusive Buyers Agent.
Exclusive Buyers Agents do not work at real estate brokerages that take listings!
An EBA’s fiduciary duty is: 100% BUYER REPRESENTATION . . . 100% of the Time.
Carla Muss-Jacobs, Principal Broker/Owner
Buyers Agent Portland LLC
14845 SW Murray Scholls Blvd, #110-518
Beaverton, OR 97007
Buyers Agent Portland ~~ 100% BUYER REPRESENTATION . . . 100% of the Time
All rights reserved©