I’m a licensed real estate broker in the State of Oregon. That license allows me to “broker” the purchase and sale of real estate. Beyond that . . . I’m not licensed to give tax advice, legal advice, or energy audit advice.
From time-to-time I get asked a lot of questions that have absolutely nothing to do with my real estate license.
Lenn Harley’s recent feature, I Didn’t Know So Many Agents Were Fortune Tellers, is a good one. She describes very bad business practice: Talking out of school, talking about future values we just DO NOT know . . . but more importantly, DO NOT HAVE TO KNOW!
These are actual questions I’ve been asked over the years:
- when do the buses run
- how good are the schools
- how much will the property appreciate in years to come
- will the cleaning crew clean the fan blades
- are the neighbors planning to have children
- , , , and yes . . . what is the “average” monthly utility bill
I understand the need to budget. Matter of fact, I budget too! But sometimes, when I get asked this question, I can not answer with a pat and firm reply, other then: There is NO average.
There is NO “AVERAGE” to a monthly utility bill because there are TOO many variables:
- What’s the sq. ft. of the property?
- Where is the property located? (500′ above sea level, 1,500′ above sea level, 4,500′ above sea level)
- How has it been insulated? (Attic, crawlspace, walls? What’s the R-value? Are the ducts wrapped?)
- What kind of windows does the property have?
- Is there a crawlspace, basement, slab?
- What is the primary heat source?
- How many people live in the house?
- How many times do flush the toilet, water their lawn, run the dishwasher?
- What temperature is the thermostat set in winter?
- Are the windows / doors properly caulked, sealed and weather stripped?
- Do the heat the house at night?
- Do they keep each and every TV, radio, computer running 24/7?
- Is there a hot tub used on the premises?
- Does hubby tinker and use an acetylene torch?
- on and on and on . . .
To obtain a true “average” everybody knows that you must do it mathematically / scientifically: taking the ENTIRE population for any given variable, quantifying the variables, adding the monthly amount, dividing by the end-group users, and having a plus/minus standard deviation for errors.
Yeah, I’m not about to do that . . . sorry.
——> YOU CAN NOT BASE YOUR PERSONAL ENERGY CONSUMPTION ON ANYONE ELSES’ ENERGY CONSUMPTION! <——
There are oranizations that can PROVIDE you with information you need, and want. I can, and do, provide referrals to qualified vendors in the Portland Metro area and direct people to the right source for information.
Portland Buyers Agent – Real Estate Expert in the Portland Metro Area
EBA Portland, LLC is an Exclusive Buyer Agency serving the Metro Portland real estate market since 1999. I only represent Home Buyers and never home sellers. If you’re looking for a home anywhere in the Portland Metro area, there is no better representation than an Exclusive Buyers Agent. I assist investors, folks relocating to Portland area, those moving to the Portland area in-state, home buyers who are looking to down-size or move-up and of course . . . love working with first-time buyers. I help Buyers in the Portland Metro market find exactly what they need in the Tri-County markets of Clackamas County, Multnomah County and Washington County, as well Portland cities including but not limited to:
- Beaverton homes for sale
- Tigard homes for sale
- Hillsboro homes for sale
- Lake Oswego homes for sale
- Portland homes for sale
When you’re ready, talk to an Exclusive Buyers Agent. Exclusive Buyers Agents do not work for listing brokerages or Sellers. An EBA’s fiduciary duty is: 100% BUYER REPRESENTATION . . . 100% of the Time. Contact me for all Portland Housing.
Carla Muss-Jacobs, Principal Broker/Owner
EBA Portland LLC
14845 SW Murray Scholls Blvd, #110-518
Beaverton, OR 97007
EBA Portland ~~ 100% BUYER REPRESENTATION . . . 100% of the Time
All rights reserved ©