I’m a licensed real estate broker in the State of Oregon. That license allows me to “broker” the purchase and sale of real estate. Beyond that . . . I’m not licensed to give tax advice, legal advice, or energy audit advice.
From time-to-time I get asked questions that I am incapable of answering.
These are actual questions I’ve been asked over the years:
- when do the buses run
- how good are the schools
- how much will the property appreciate in years to come
- will the cleaning crew clean the fan blades
- are the neighbors planning to have children
- . . . and yes . . . what is the “average” monthly utility bill
I understand the need to budget. Matter of fact, I budget too! But sometimes, when I get asked this question, I can not answer with a pat and firm reply, other then: Weatherization is the key!
The utility usage average of the current owners may not be your utility usage average
There are many variables:
- What’s the sq. ft. of the property?
- Where is the property located? (500′ above sea level, 1,500′ above sea level, 4,500′ above sea level)
- How has it been insulated? (Attic, crawlspace, walls? What’s the R-value? Are the ducts wrapped?)
- What kind of windows are installed?
- Is there a crawlspace, basement, slab?
- What is the primary heat source?
- How many people live in the house?
- How many times does the toilet get flushed?
- How often is the lawn watered?
- Is the dishwasher used daily? (major energy drain)
- What temperature is the thermostat set in winter?
- How long does the furnace run?
- Are the windows / doors properly caulked, sealed and weather stripped?
- Is the house heated at night?
- Is every TV, radio, computer running 24/7?
- Is there a hot tub used on the premises?
- Does hubby tinker in the garage and use 220 amp toys?
- on and on and on . . .
——> YOU CAN NOT BASE YOUR PERSONAL ENERGY CONSUMPTION ON ANYONE ELSE’S ENERGY CONSUMPTION! <——
There are organizations that can provide information on ways to reduce the energy costs in a home. Energy Trust of Oregon is a good starting point.
I can, and do, provide referrals to qualified vendors in the Portland Metro area who will be able to change windows, update furnaces to 95% efficiency units, blow in insultation, etc. I direct people to the right source for information.
But remember: Weatherization is the key!
Hope this makes sense.
Buyer Focused ~~ Buyer Results CALL 503.804.1466
Anne Stewart-Principal Broker, operates an elite team of real estate professionals designed to focus on Buyer Representation
Resulting in superior customer care and exemplary client services.
Moving to Portland and need to get acclimated? Want to see a home that checks all the boxes? Our level of Buyer Agency and Buyer Representation is what you need in a real estate professional! We help you navigate the home buying process step-by-step with care, attention to detail and professionalism that is not easily found in the real estate industry.
Having an agent that focuses on fiduciary vs functionary representation is a game changer in buying real estate. ~ Anne Stewart
Helping home Buyers in the following counties: Multnomah, Washington, Clackamas, Yamhill and Marion
The Quinn Stewart Real Estate Group at Keller Williams Realty Portland Premiere are a team of experts in buyer representation. And that’s what you want!
We are here to represent your best interests in the purchase of real estate. Relocation, Residential, new construction, Land/Lots, condos/townhomes, Move up/Move down,
Since 2001, our team has over six decades of combined experience. Have a real estate agent whose real estate practice has PROVEN RESULTS!
- Expert negotiators
- Experienced real estate professionals
- Designing unique approaches to represent you in buying property EVERY STEP OF THE WAY!
Anne Stewart – Principal Broker/Oregon Licensed ABR, GRI, CRS, e-PRO
Quinn Stewart Real Estate Group